Date: 9/2/17 3:12 pm
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] The Lynn County Photographic Game - August Report
Greetings All:
In compliance with Drew Harvey's request that I focus on a county lacking
herp records, I am going to be working Lynn County (the county just to the
south of Lubbock County) for critters and photographs of critters in 2017.

Lynn County is somewhat similar to Hockley County - lots of cropland,
almost no public land - but is different in one critical regard: there is
no publicly accessible permanent water. This doesn't mean that Lynn County
is dry, necessarily, but it does mean that my success with water-loving
species, from spadefoots to sandpipers, is going to be very dependent on
seasonal rainfall.

Stated numerical goals are, because of this, borderline hallucinatory.

That said, I will stick with goals of 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of
amphibian, 10 species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of
mammal seen in Lynn County during 2017. As in 2016, I will also have the
goal of photographing at least 90% of the species seen.

I was able to put in two day-long visits to the county (nobody can say that
I don't play hard) and I did pretty well, noting 39 species of butterfly, 1
species of amphibian, 5 species of reptile, 124 species of bird, and 6
species of mammal during July, bringing me up to 52 species of butterfly,
10 species of amphibian, 12 species of reptile, 183 species of bird, and 11
species of mammal - moving the respective percentages up to 104%, 200%,
120%, 92%, and 110% - for the year.. Of the 268 species seen so far, I
have acquired identifiable photographs of 241 - making for a 89.92% success
rate ... with most of the species missed either nocturnals or skittish
migrant songbirds (many of which will be easier to photograph during fall
migration).

And on with the list (* = new to the list, y = photographed) - I have not
arranged birds in the newest taxonomic order (courtesy of the AOU) as I
have not yet seen the new listing.

Common Checkered Skipper
Common Sootywings
Orange Skipperling