Date: 9/2/17 3:00 pm
From: 'Bob Battagin' <bigfootbob...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Influx of White-tailed Kites to Nicasio Reservoir
Hi NBBers,

Starting around the middle of summer and going into fall there is a yearly “invasion” of White-tailed Kites to Nicasio Reservoir. For 2017 here are some recent counts:

Aug 16: 6
Aug 23: 18
Aug 24: 51
Aug 25: 36
Aug 28: 23
Aug 30: 29
Aug 31: 10
Sept 2: 23

I’m sure some of the variation in the numbers is due to my inability to detect all the White-tailed Kites present. Should you be passing the reservoir and would like to take a look, try stopping near the 0.39 mile marker on Nicasio Valley Road and looking west into the willows across the reservoir water. Also, the dead tops of the nearby Cypress trees.

Additionally, we are headed into a good time of year for Bald Eagles and Osprey at the reservoir. They are likely roaming from nests at Kent Lake and Tomales Bay. Besides hunting for fish, the Osprey like to soak their feet in the northmost water of the reservoir as seen from Point Reyes – Petaluma Road. The eagles sometimes perch on top of the aforementioned cypress trees (near the corner of Point Reyes – Petaluma Road x Nicasio Valley Road) or on the never used nest platform as seen from Nicasio Valley Road.

Good birding,
Bob Battagin
Woodacre

Join us on Facebook!