Date: 9/2/17 2:39 pm
From: <zonetail...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Elings Park, Saturday
Peter A. Gaede and I checked the south plateau of the park this morning. The
fennel is in full bloom, but there were very few warblers present.

We saw at least 19 Cliff Swallows. This species has largely left the county by
late August, so this seemed like a pretty good count.

Of interest was a flock of 7 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers that flew over our heads at
a height of 50 feet or so, and kept flying south towards the ocean until I lost
sight of them--still flying high. Diurnal migrants? A short-distance move?
Whatever the motivation, I haven't seen this species engaging in this behavior
before. There were also at least 5 gnatcatchers in the fennel (seen after the
flock went over).

Later in the morning I checked Bohnett Park which had a decent flow of water in
the creek. It was quite birdy with double-digit Orange-crowned Warblers, 2
Wilson's Warblers, and 2 Warbling Vireos.

Hugh Ranson
Santa Barbara

------------------------------------
Posted by: <zonetail...>