Date: 9/2/17 2:21 pm
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] The Hewetson:Kostecke Competition - August Report
Greetings All:
This year's competition finds Rich Kostecke working over 960 square miles
of Fayette County as Anthony Hewetson flails away at 902 square miles of
Crosby County. Both counties have a nice mix of habitats, though
Kostecke's is a bit less agricultural and a bit more wooded and watered.
On the other hand, Hewetson has some nice canyon cuts and, possibly, a
better selection of grasslands. To make things a bit more fair this year
lists are going to be weighted using the cumulative eBird total of ABA
countable birds as reported by 31 December 2016. That means that Rich's
efforts will be divided into a total of 264 species for Fayette County
whereas Anthony's efforts will be divided into a total of 290 species for
Crosby County. Species we add to the county lists during 2017 will not
cause these totals to go up: 264 and 290 remain fixed for purposes of the
contest.

Rich was besieged with work during August and made only one visit to
Fayette County during the month, adding not one bird to his list, leaving
him at 203 species of bird in Fayette County so far this year. September
should be better - assuming he is able to get to his best spots.

I was able to get out to my county twice, adding three species during my
first visit (Louisiana Waterthrush, White Ibis, Ruby-throated Hummingbird)
and nothing whatsoever during the second, bringing me up to 230 species in
Crosby County so far this year. I am waiting for migrant songbirds..

Weighted for eBird history, I have widened my tight lead a bit. My 230 out
of 290 puts me at 79.3103% while Rich's 203 out of 264 puts him at
76.8940%.

I have a feeling it's all going to come down to what sort of fronts stall
what sort of birds in our two counties during the next two months.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!