Date: 9/2/17 1:15 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Odds & Ends (2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, 3 Buff-breasted Sandpipers and a Sandhill Crane!)
Jane and I covered the coast this morning.  At high tide.  Not a huge
number of shorebirds, but a few to look at.  ZERO Westerns, Baird's or
White-rumps.  Terns and small gulls continue to be scarce.  And I seem
to miss all the Wilson's Phalaropes!  But we did relocate a
Buff-breasted Sandpiper that Kyle Wilmarth found yesterday.  Photos &
Highlights:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

Green-winged Teal  4
Northern Gannet  135     50+ in tight distant flock off Hampton.
Double-crested Cormorant  35     Migrating.
Great Blue Heron  7     Didn't count birds in Seabrook/Hampton marshes.
Great Egret  13     Didn't count birds in Seabrook/Hampton marshes.
Snowy Egret  34
Green Heron  2     Both on Marsh Road Pond.
Black-crowned Night-Heron  16     Careful count of roosting birds in
Seabrook dunes.  Mix of adults and juveniles.
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON  2     Clearly two different juveniles
roosting in Seabrook dunes.  Sitting not far from each other.  Each with
all black stout bill and long legs as compare to juvenile BCNH.
Northern Harrier  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Black-bellied Plover  43     All adults.
Semipalmated Plover  305     About 250 roosting at high tide roost at
Plaice Cove.
Killdeer  7
Ruddy Turnstone  2
Sanderling  24
Least Sandpiper  8
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER  1     On North Hampton State Beach.  Found
previous day by K. Wilmarth.
Semipalmated Sandpiper  331     Mostly juveniles.
Short-billed Dowitcher  11     10 in Hampton harbor.
Spotted Sandpiper  4
Greater Yellowlegs  78     All in Meadow Pond.
Lesser Yellowlegs  8
Bonaparte's Gull  1     Only 1.
Laughing Gull  1     Only 1.
Belted Kingfisher  1
Peregrine Falcon  1     Juvenile in Hampton.

At the Exeter WTP, we caught up with TWO BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS in the
drained pond #3 that others had reported to us.

And finally, SUCCESS WITH THE SANDHILL CRANE in Rollinsford!  Julie
Anderson called me to say that it had left her parents farm, but she had
relocated it further down the street by the overpass.  We had it today,
KNOCKING ON THE FRONT DOOR (almost!) at 407 Main Street/Robert's Road.
Remarkable bird.  Not sure why it is acting like this, but it seems to
prefer front stoops and driveways to the expansive open fields in this
area!  Check out this photo!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/36813949592/in/photostream/lightbox/

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA