Date: 9/2/17 11:01 am
From: Phil Davis <pdavis...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Request for documentation: Scopoli's Shearwater 09/30/2012, off of OC
MD Birders:

This is a request for photos of one of several Scopoli's Shearwaters
that were observed on an Ocean City pelagic trip on Sunday,
09/30/2012. It is believed that photos were taken of one or more of
perhaps as many as four of these birds, However, I have not been able
to locate any of the photos. Thanks to Fred Shaffer for providing the
clues.

FYI, Cory's Shearwater had previously been considered as a single
species with two subspecies: the nominate Mediterranean-breeding
subspecies Scopoli's Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea diomedea), and
the Atlantic-breeding Cory's Shearwater (Calonectris diomedea borealis).
Several taxonomic authorities, including the the IOC (and hence, the
British Ornithological Union), Avibase, HBW Alive, etc., have recently
split the Cory's Shearwater complex into two separate species and it
possible that the AOS could follow suit for North America, at some
point in the future. [Cape Verde Shearwater (Calonectris edwardsii)
had been split from this complex even earlier.]

I have photos of Scopoli's from other pelagic trips, but none from
this specific 2012 trip.

Feel free to reply, off-list.

Thanks.

Phil

Phil Davis, Secretary
MD/DC Records Committee
2549 Vale Court
Davidsonville, Maryland 21035 USA
301-261-0184
mailto:<PDavis...>

MD/DCRC Web site: http://www.MDBirds.org/mddcrc/rcindex.html
Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group
on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it
here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Join us on Facebook!