Date: 9/2/17 6:06 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Aug 2017) 2 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 2 8 8

Observation start time: 17:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 3 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (45% cloud cover), Ceiling - 15,000 - 32,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 75 - 68F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (35) and
Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Intoxicated with Nature”---

Walk at the meadow at nearby Longwood was first today. No migrant warblers
were encountered, but I was in the meadow. An adult Bald Eagle flew over
and Bobolinks were calling flyovers. Insects were interesting. On a
flowering Hyssop-leaved Thoroughwort there were Bumble Bees appearing
nearly intoxicated with the nectar. So much so that you could pet it
without the bee noticing (I couldn’t resist). A nearby Joe-Pye Weed had
Honey Bees doing what bees do, their sides heavily-laden with polen.
Butterflies were well represented with a Viceroy near where we had seen one
a couple of weeks ago and a Cloudless Sulphur – both offering incredible
looks!

When I made it to Bucktoe, I saw a first - an Eastern Cottontail reaching
up, paws over the lip and drinking from our water feature! Very cute!
Howard Campbell…ole 72 degree Howard… loves it when it’s only 72 degrees,
and only 72 degrees, was here an entire degree early at 73 degrees.
Getting a little loose there, Howard! Most of us get a bit LESS flexible
with age. Howard saw some of the 25 Nighthawks that flew over.
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 3-Herring Gull, 1-Great Horned Owl, 25-COMMON
NIGHTHAWK, 1-Warbling Vireo, 2-Blue Grosbeak, 8-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple.
Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0): Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 11.1; Steps: 26,034; Floors:
57.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Hawk &
Nighthawk watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 53; this season: 80
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” Great
Horned Owl, Warbling Vireo, Herring Gull.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit spotty
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: