Date: 9/1/17 9:38 pm
From: Danny Akers <birdmandan1231...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Mitchell / Worth Co. birds - 9/1
Hi All,

I briefly hit a couple locations in Mitchell and Worth counties this afternoon/evening after work.

Spring Park near Osage in Mitchell Co. held one of the coolest warbler flocks / experiences I've had in recent memory, with 70+ Warblers of 14 species literally dripping out of the foliage in one small area of the park. Of note here was a female CERULEAN and 2 BLACKPOLL WARBLERS, but also excellent numbers of Golden-winged, Black-and-White, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, and nearly 30 Chestnut-sided. 2 Pileated Woodpeckers here were also noteworthy.

At Elk Creek Marsh in Worth Co., the most noteworthy observation was a vocal flyover flock of 6 RED CROSSBILLS. These were along the mowed path, east of the parking area at the north end of Evergreen Ave. (Crossbills have been on my radar for a couple weeks with the considerable movement of this species in Minnesota right now). A similar variety (albeit considerably lower numbers) of Warblers were present in the area here as well, with Black-and-White and Bay-breasted being most numerous. I flushed a covey of 23 Gray Partridge on my way out of the area.

Danny Akers
Ames