Date: 9/1/17 7:08 pm
From: <juliemasin...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Backyard visitor
Hi!

This is my first post so hopefully, I won't completely embarrass myself.

My husband and I have had an interesting visitor the last few days in our backyard. I am 99.99% positive it isn't a California native, and I've had some trouble identifying it. I originally thought it was an escaped or released Pacific Parrotlet but another birder online said it could be a Rosy-Faced Lovebird. Either way, it has been a pleasure seeing in the mornings.

I was hoping someone here may have an idea of what it is (and how it can be ID'd from the pictures included below) and give me some advice on whether a bird like this should be reported on ebird since it is likely a runaway and not a rare migrant.

The coloring is nearly white with a very light green hue. The bird's back and rump area is a bright blue (which is nearly completely covered when it's wings aren't spread). S/he has a pale beak, pink legs* (*this is why I think parrotlet instead of lovebird), and is very chatty. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've included 3 photos here - they are unfortunately not the best quality: http://imgur.com/a/sHfWA http://imgur.com/a/sHfWA

Thanks,
Julie Scotland

Join us on Facebook!