Date: 9/1/17 5:54 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: 2017-08-29 On The Road To Malheur NWR
Jack,

Your bird is a Willow Flycatcher. Note the massive bill that has an almost entirely light lower mandible; just a hint of an eyering (unlike the large football shaped one that a "Western" Flycatcher would have; and the incredibly short primary projection.

It would be impossible to identify an empid as a "Cordilleran" if it was silent. "Cordilleran" and "Pacific-slope" Flycatchers used to be considered one species, the Western Flycatcher. They are identical except for voice. Most advanced birders in the northwest think they should be re-lumped. Most of these "Western" Flycatchers that have been recorded in Oregon are found to have characteristics of both songs. I have personally heard birds that alternately gave the male position note of both species. Pure "Cordilleran" Flycatchers are incredibly rare in Oregon, if they exist at all. I am told that there is a sharper division between the two in the southern part of their range, like Arizona.

Interestingly, I spent a lot of time birding in the Pullman, WA / Moscow, ID area over the last 7 years. Birders on the Washington side of the line invariably listed the birds they saw as Pacific-slope Flycatchers, while those 7 miles away in Moscow listed theirs as Cordillerans. I would be surprised if these aren't lumped sometime in the next decade.

Tom Crabtree, Bend