Date: 9/1/17 4:47 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (01 Sep 2017) 12 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 12 12 66

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Marty McNamara, Ted Mara

Visitors:
Observers: Rod Chase, Ted Mara and Marty McNamara with
friendly assistance from Tracy Luetjen (2nd trip up from
Ellington, CT.) Dave Laska, Ron and other friendly folks
trickled by all day.

Weather:
Cool start @ 8C/47F and blustery NW wind 8-24kpm/5-15mph
and gusts to 32kph/20mph. Visibility thru haze 16km/10mi.
Overcast 50% with mixed layers of cirrus, stratus
and cumulus. O/C improved for a while (20% @ 10am) but
then 50% from 1pm on.
Winds went NNW 9-11am; a little lighter @ 8-13kpm/5-8mph
and gusts only 24kpm/15mph. From noon to 1pm winds returned to original
levels and slowly shifted to west.

Raptor Observations:
Adult BE 10:25, 11:50, sub-adult 12:05.
All eagles had no problem finding great lift but all other migrating
raptors were at or below eye level for most of flight.
1 BE adult rated local; high in NE but quick peel below
horizon left bird invisible thru haze; we never found bird again.
Other locals: TV 5, RT 1

Non-raptor Observations:
Chimney Swifts 2, Raven 5, Nighthawk 1.

Another 2 Monarchs -- amazing how they can move into the wind as they catch
little puffs to toss them forward over the rocks!

Predictions:
Sunny, with a high near 72.
Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable.

NOTE: I won't be up Sat. (working). Bill R indicated he'll be up; certain
he wouldn't mind a few extra eyes.
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

Join us on Facebook!