Date: 9/1/17 2:45 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Shorebird Totals For August 2017
Hello Bird People,

Had to stay home for the arrival of the plumber today so no Jaeger
watching for me although I hope to make up for that later on. So that
gives me a chance to give my shorebird totals for August earlier in
the month than I did last month. I should mention that these totals
include a few birds seen in southern Illinois on Eclipse Day but all
of the rest were seen & counted in northern Illinois.
Here's my list which I hope at least a few of you will find interesting:

American Golden Plover (1) (At Techny North)

Piping Plover (5) (All at Waukegan Beach & although there were 5
sightings there were only 2 birds)

Semipalmated Plover (65)

Killdeer (1536)

Black Necked Stilt (8) (4 Near Grand Tower & 4 in Winnebago Co)

Greater Yellowlegs (9)

Lesser Yellowlegs (178)

Solitary Sandpiper (170)

Spotted Sandpiper (156)

Willet (1) (At Illinois Beach South Unit)

WHIMBREL (2) (At Waukegan Beach & at Illinois Beach South Unit)

Ruddy Turnstone (only 1)

Sanderling (78)

WESTERN SANDPIPER (1) (At Montrose Beach)

Semipalmated Sandpiper (161)

Least Sandpiper (576)

Baird's Sandpiper (13)

Pectoral Sandpiper (182)

Stilt Sandpiper (15)

BUFF BREASTED SANDPIPER (1) (At Montrose Beach)

Short Billed Dowitcher (11)

Wilson's Snipe (9)

RED NECKED PHALAROPE (2) (1 in Winnabago Co & 1 in Kane Co)

So for August 2017 I had 23 shorebird species & 3181 individuals.

For comparison purposes here are totals from other recent years:

2013 had 23 species & 6448 individuals

2014 had 24 species & 3120 individuals

2015 had 28 species & 7616 individuals (also several trips to Central Illinois)

2016 had 24 species & 4404 individuals

It appears that except for the 2015 totals with extra travel this
year's totals are close to most other recent year's totals at least
for total species seen.

September's totals should still be respectable but my August totals
are always the highest as August is always the top month for
shorebirds.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: