Date: 9/1/17 1:59 pm
From: tracy chiconas <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender tchiconas for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] McKinley Beach Shorebirds
Hi,

I just returned from McKinley Beach after spending a few hours & i wanted to let you guys know it is "jumping" with shorebirds. By jumping i mean a total of 35-40 beach total. There are no "stand out" birds, but these numbers are the most i've seen together so far this Fall. Mostly Sanderlings, 1 Sem Plover, 2 Turnstones, 2 Spotted Sandpipers ..prob forgetting one. It is an interesting opportunity to watch them be "aggressive" w/each other. There is strong wave action so my guess is it has limited their feeding area & thus are being protective.

Also note worthy is a Cormorant that was at the other end of the beach from me. When i saw a kid throwing stones at it i promptly went over & the people left. It seemed to just want to rest. It's wings & legs seemed fine, but it let me get unnaturally close to it. Not sure what is going on w/it. I chased it to a rock (barely off the beach). It may still be there.

Never bothered w/Bradford. figured there is just much stronger wave action. Might be worth checking out though.

If going, it is cold & windy!!! fyi

Tracy Chiconas
- Milwaukee Co.