Date: 9/1/17 12:09 pm
From: <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Black and White, Lark Sparrow, etc.
Another birdy day at Fort Mason, with most of the activity in the Battery. The BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER spent a good deal of time fairly low down, although behind leaves much of the time. The most prevalent warbler was YELLOW, which outnumbered all other warblers combined. A BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, a WILSON'S WARBLER and a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER were all seen as well. After I left, Aaron Maizlish found a MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER in the garden. Flycatchers were relatively sparse (other than the ubiquitous BLACK PHOEBE). A WILLOW FLYCATCHER was on the slope above Aquatic Park, and a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER was in the Battery. Two WESTERN KINGBIRDS flew in mid-morning and landed on a small tree in the middle of the Battery. WESTERN TANAGERS were the most common migrant - I noted 15, but there probably were more. Both HOODED and BULLOCK'S ORIOLES were seen in the Battery (several of each). A WARBLING VIREO also gave us good views for a short period of time. A BELTED KINGFISHER was on the abandoned pier, and one of the WANDERING TATTLERS was on the rocks at the base of the main pier. When I first arrived (at 6:30), the tailless BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER was on the eastern side of the garden and a NORTHERN FLICKER was in the main part of the garden. A RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was foraging with PYGMY NUTHATCHES in the Battery mid-morning. At least one BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK was in the Battery (seen multiple times - there may have been two). A LARK SPARROW (presumably continuing) was on the lawn north of the garden and then flew into a tree on the east side of the garden.

Join us on Facebook!