Date: 9/1/17 12:00 pm
From: William Legge <WGDLegge...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Rodeo Lagoon - Mixed Morning for Migrants

Anticipating a morning of passerines migrants out at Rodeo Lagoon (Marin Headlands), given the offshore winds and hot temperatures, I was a little disappointed today. Rather than the willows being full of warblers and other western passerine migrants, there appears to have been a clear out of western migrants overnight, and warblers in particular. The only species of warbler I encountered this morning was Common Yellowthroat (7 today),. That compares to 4 species of warbler yesterday (Orange-crowned (1), Yellow Warbler (4), Wilson's (6) and Common Yellowthroat (21)). I guess the heat and the increasing offshore wind did not help today, but it seems most of yesterday's birds moved on last night. This birding thing is a fickle business.

As consolation, there was new migrants in or moving through/over, but not the anticipated western passerine migrants. Migrant highlights from this morning's circuit of the lagoon as follows:

1 Spotted Sandpiper - main lagoon outlet channel
1 Lesser Yellowlegs - flew up the main lagoon and continued east up Rodeo Valley - identified from call, but reasonable flight views obtained as well
1 Greater Yellowlegs - Heard calling several times going over/circling but not seen
1 Nuttall's Woodpecker - female/juvenile - new in
2 Swainson's Thrush
3 House Wren - influx and vocal
7 Savannah Sparrow - most in the dunes at the western end of the main lagoon (only 2 yesterday)
6 Tricolored Blackbird - dropped in on wires between the two lagoons with a juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird in tow - first ones of the fall

I left the lagoon at 9:20am and the temperature was already a warm 82F at the beach! I suggest birding activities for the rest of today be limited to looking skywards from the comfort of a deckchair in the shade with plenty of cold drinks at hand. Seriously, it is a very dry heat out there, make sure you stay hydrated, wear a hat etc......

Good birding.

William

William Legge
Mill Valley, CA