Date: 8/31/17 8:16 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose American Golden-Plovers, 8/31 p.m.

I made a late afternoon run to Montrose Point in Chicago today, August
31, to see if anything fun and interesting was on the beach. I didn't
have anything as exciting as a Parasitic Jaeger or a Buff-breasted
Sandpiper, but I did find 3 adult American Golden-Plovers on the public
portion of the beach. The birds were initially near the plastic
boardwalk but flushed and relanded a short distance away. A fair number
of people were using the beach this afternoon, including wind surfers,
so I had a feeling the birds would be jumpy. Sure enough, when an
unleashed dog got too close they picked up and flew off to the north.
Typical. And frustrating. I also had a juvenile Baird's Sandpiper,
Semipalmated Plovers and Sandpipers, and Sanderlings. The good news is
that Lake Montrose has reformed and should be attractive to migrant
shorebirds as long as it lasts (Lake Montrose is the fluddle that forms
on the public beach after a heavy rain). This is prime time for Red
Knots and Whimbrels along Lake Michigan.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
Birding Montrose Point:
http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html
The Montrose Birding Blog: http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/robertdhughes63
Montrose on eBird: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L161180

Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)