Date: 8/31/17 6:46 pm
From: John Bailey <johngregorybailey...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Baird's Sandpiper
Today, while surveying La Conchita beach for plovers—of which there were none—I found approximately 35 Long-billed Curlews and 50 Whimbrels. A bonus was a single, unusual peep which I later identified as a Baird’s Sandpiper. (Email me for copies of my photographs.)

The Baird’s was working the high-tide line 300-500 yards east of the walking tunnel exit. A number of ID features helped me determine species—the white marks top and bottom where bill meets head, length and shape of bill, length of primary feathers, dark smudgy feathers between base of bill and eye. (Bill and legs are solid black.)

John Bailey
<johngregorybailey...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: John Bailey <johngregorybailey...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)