Date: 8/31/17 6:37 pm
Subject: Re: Attempted Hummingbird Predation
Alas, I came home today to find the same snake with a notable hummingbird shaped bulge in its belly as it slowly ambled away from the scene of the crime.
I pray that it conveniently caught an anole, like many have suggested it was hunting, but all evidence (size and length of bulge) suggest otherwise.
I tell you this not to revel in this situation, but to let folks know that if perhaps uncommon, small Ratsnakes do appear to be occasionally successful in hunting for hummingbirds from our bird feeders that are hung in trees.
I have learned my lesson, and will be purchasing extra poles to set up for my feeders to avoid this situation again and to helpfully reduce the amount of sugar water the squirrels end up guzzling.
I am still feeding between 6-10 between the campus feeders and my yard feeders, so hopefully we can avoid this situation again.
Happy Birding - and keep an eye out for those sly snakes.
David

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 5:08 PM, ann maddock <am.hummingbird.photos...> wrote:
>
> take

Join us on Facebook!