Date: 8/31/17 5:06 pm
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co.) 2017-08-31
Hi Tweets -

Well, we decided that since ~6 of us made the trip over to see the Swallow-tailed Gull directly after Marymoor [some even before the end of Marymoor], it really ought to count as one of our park birds for the day. Right? Right?

Except for that amazing post-Marymoor fun, it was another quiet August day at Marymoor. The first surprise today was misty drizzle - pretty much all morning we had a light bit of liquid falling on us — nice change!

The bird #s were almost as low as ever, but we did have some fun with signs of fall migration sneaking in. The species total was a low low low 37 for the day, but the mix was a bit different. Notable sightings:

Swainson’s Thrush — definitely a good movement of them before dawn - at about 5:30, I took a count of flight calls — 40+ in 90 seconds. If we use the Danzenbaker formula of 2-3 calls per bird, that’d mean there were ~10ish per minute going past for at least a half hour, probably more — we also had a couple nice sightings during the day to prove they really were coming through.

Red-necked Grebe - 2 out on the lake - unusual for Marymoor, but right on schedule for a fall visit.

We had ~3 groups of migrants pass through, including 2 with multiple Warbling Vireos. They also included a couple Orange-crowned Warblers, a Wilson’s Warbler, & several Black-throated Gray Warblers.

Misses were plentiful and included: Green Heron, Purple Finch, Red-tailed Hawk, Steller’s Jay, Killdeer, Yellow-rumped Warbler — and of those leaving the area, no Willow Flycatchers, Western Wood-Pewee or Black-headed Grosbeak.

Good birding,

Matt Bartels
Tweeters mailing list
<Tweeters...>