Date: 8/31/17 2:07 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET DuPage County-83rd Street Fluddle & Lake Law At Fermi Lab Thursday 8-31-17
Hello Bird People,

Although the Least Bitterns have been reported on IBET the special
shorebirds at Fermi have not so the only way to learn about them is
elsewhere. I found that info on Ebird where I saw mention of 2 Buff
Breasted Sandpipers seen on, I think, Tuesday of this week. I did not
see any reported on Wed & I found none today but mention should be
made that Lake Law seems to be in a water draw down with large mud
flats where the land meets the water all around the entire lake.
Although I found nothing special today something seems likely to show
up so I hope the DuPagers keep looking.
If you venture out onto the mud flats be ready to sink in a little &
expect mud coated boots.

83rd Street Fluddle (7:40-8:45 a.m.)

Here I was joined by Mr Greene Valley F.P. also know as Mike Madsen.
He missed the Peregrine hunting process & the fight between that
Peregrine & a Cooper's Hawk but he saw everything else that I saw &
then some. On arrival the Peregrine was making repeated passes very
low over the mud flats & I thought that was it for finding shorebirds
but they were all flattened out among the rocks & got away with it
this time anyway.

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by), Great Blue Heron (1) & Green Heron (1)
Mallard (49) & the continuing female plumaged Green Winged Teal
Cooper's Hawk (1), BROAD WINGED HAWK (1 fly-by) & PEREGRINE (1-AD)
Killdeer (20), Solitary (1) & Spotted (3) Sandpipers
We also heard one positive Lesser Yellowlegs but it seemed to be just flying by
Also flying by or above were Mourning Dove (2), Chimney Swift (5) &
Barn Swallow (a few)
A few land birds were Flicker, Blue Jay & Starling. Mike saw Cedar
Waxwings but I did not.

Fermi Lab 9:30-11:30 a.m.)

On my way in I saw a bunch of birders looking south into the cattails
from Batavia Rd at what was probably the Least Bittern location & I
should have stopped as they were probably looking at one but I did not
as it was shorebirds I was after.

Lake Law & Mud Edges

D.C. Cormorant (9),Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (9) & Red Tailed Hawk (1 resting)
Killdeer (66), Spotted (5), Least (7), Semipalmated (5) & Pectoral (1)
Sandpipers
Also Mourning Doves & Goldfinch
And Scott Latimer (1 with scope, but he was leaving as I arrived)

A.E. Sea

I hear there's some shorebird habitat here but I could not see any.
It's all high water that I saw.
In that water were D.C. Cormorant (55), P.B. Grebe (5), Canada Goose
(15) & Mallard (8)

Cattail Looking From Batavia Rd

Did not see a Least Bittern but did see Green Heron (4), Mallard
(8-10), Blue Winged Teal (2)
several Sora's (1-AD & 7-Juv) & that's good enough for me having seen
several Least Bitterns this year.

It's nice to be able to look for shorebirds at Fermi after all!

Bird-Of-The-Day to the fast flying adult Peregrine which is a fine
sight to see in action even if they do scare the shorebirds & mess up
my attempts to get good counts.
Runners-Up to all those Sora Rails & the flying Broad Winged Hawk.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: