Date: 8/31/17 1:09 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (28 Aug 2017) Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 6 6

Observation start time: 13:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3) Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi:
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (75-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 74 - 67F, Winds NE @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 3-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (45) and
Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“The Warbler Way”---(double entendre laden)

A morning full, first of writing (which I love), then of failed attempts to
get thru to Ford about my disabled van (despised that). It led to
frustration and a battle with depression. For like the fifth time, they
said they’d get right back to me. Still waiting….FORD! Boy was I “down”
at TLC Headquarters. I’ve just got to get these transportation issues
behind me, and without costing me the fortune, I do not have. Time had
come, though; I had to head to the Hawk Watch to prepare for today’s
“Nighthawk & Hawk Watch.” I left TLC in low spirits, dragging, feeling
each of the blisters that having only foot transportation will cause. I
came to a junction of paths along the Red Clay Creek. There, I chose one I
would not normally choose. That’s right, I found myself on a path not
often traveled….by me, at least. Not far down this unusual trail, I heard
a “chip” of a warbler, drawing my immediate attention. I began “pishing”
to entice the bird into view, feeling fairly certain I had stumbled upon a
Redstart. I had. The female was fliting closer and closer, obviously
attracted by what I was doing. Doesn’t always happen, but when it does, it
is indeed, thrilling. First one, then another, then MANY Redstarts, all
female or immature - nearly all in the single tree just before me! Among
them appeared some Black-and-white Warblers; grasping diligently to the
tree as they sought the origin of the commotion. Must have been eight of
those to join the Redstarts, all within just a few feet! In fact,
everything was that close! Then, two Northern Parulas joined the fray.
Just there! A Scarlet Tanager for good measure!

“Pissshhh…pisshhh…pisshhh….”

A few Magnolia Warblers were not to be left out, peering curiously behind
the closest of leaves. A Northern Waterthrush happened in next, tail
bobbing, its scolding call announcing its presence. Chestnut-sided
Warblers were there too, perhaps most numerous of all – eventually about 8
or 10 of those all there at the same time shifting, flitting, curiosity
peeked.

“Pissshhh…pisshhh…pisshhh….”

Last to arrive was a Canada Warbler. What to do next? Warblers were
literally cascading down the branches right in front of my face! Dozens of
birds, composed of seven species. A Green Heron flew quickly past….you
know, for variety…to keep things “fresh.” It didn’t end…I just left.
Besides, my lips were getting chapped and I had to finish my way up my
hill…get to where I needed to be.

Now, I have had warbler waves in the past with more variety, some including
more “unusual” species. But for mere timing, and my mental state, this
would be, oh so hard to beat - I desperately needed this!
Hey, perhaps a small move in my life might just somehow lead to a
resolution in my overwhelming present personal problems. I had chosen a
way I didn’t often travel today and look what had happened with these
warblers! I must try to remember that…..somehow, some way a different tact
may prove correct and might just lead to things breaking my way – you know,
the “Warbler Way”….

Friend, Mike Gardner posted shorebirds that were at Glenville pond near his
house in Cochranville. This was NOT in the plans, but the shorebird chase
was on! Kathleen came by and picked me up. We would just have enough time
to get there, look briefly and return by the start of tonight’s watch. We
arrived to find hundreds of shorebirds, mostly feeding in the very shallow
water of the pond. The pond here always looks full, but so very much of it
is only inches deep. These shorebirds all appeared to be “walking on
water” in the middle of the pond. We noticed 6 Pectoral Sandpipers, dozens
of Greater Yellowlegs, the same for Lesser Yellowlegs, numerous Least
Sandpipers, and many more Semipalmated Sandpipers – perhaps a hundred or
more. A smattering of the expected Killdeer were here, too. There were 2
Stilt Sandpipers among the flock of yellowlegs. Mike had earlier seen
Solitary Sandpipers and Spotted Sandpipers in the group. WOW!! Time to go
- back to the Watch at hand!

Back now, Ian arrived with news on the MOTUS front (the radio tracking
system for monitoring migration)…it is up and functional…bird migration is
being monitored electronically on especially banded birds. Lots of
Nighthawks were so banded in Canada this year. That hopefully will
correspond with our visual experience at this and future watches for other
species that I do.

I saw my very first Red-winged Blackbirds for the Watch today – can you
believe that none have come by till now? As for the Nighthawks, it was a
slow day for them with only three coming by. There will be many more to
come. [20,119 steps – 8.58mi. – 26 floors)
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Screech Owl, 1-Barred Owl, 3-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 2-Northern Parula,
10-Chestnut-sided Warbler, 3-Magnolia Warbler, 8-Black-and-white Warbler,
7-American Redstart, 1-Northern Waterthrush, 1-Canada Warbler, 2-Blue
Grosbeak, 6-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple.
Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians
(0): Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.6; Steps: 20,119; Floors: 26.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season: 74
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” Northern
Waterthrush, Scarlet Tanager, Red-winged Blackbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a bad day...a washout with rain.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: