Date: 8/31/17 12:29 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Three good birds
Yesterday I found a gorgeous male Baltimore Oriole in the birdbath.  I
thought a cosmos flower had fallen in.  Later on in the afternoon a
Great Crested Flycatcher used the bath on the other side of the house
and proceeded to preen in the dogwood right outside the window.  Today
there was an immature Towhee splashing in a ground bath.  Some Bluebird
young and an immature Cardinals are sharing another bath.  Earlier there
was a Catbird that had no feathers on its throat.  Hoping it was just a
youngster molting.

I also found a dead Blue-gray Gnatcatcher on the lawn recently. It may
have flown into the trunk of my maple tree since that was the only
object it could have hit.  Its head was tilted back indicating a broken
neck.   So sad.  It weighed about as much as a feather when I held it in
my hand.

The Goldfinches are all over the anise hyssop getting the ripe seeds.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Join us on Facebook!