Date: 8/31/17 10:58 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: luecistic pintail
Leucistic birds are fairly common in White-cheeked Pintails.  I had assumed that these were domestic selections that have leaked back into free-living populations, but maybe the tendency is more widely present in Pintails. In the Bahamas the White-cheeked Pintails seem to be a mix of wild, feral, and "pet" populations - free-living park populations that get fed, hand-reared birds swimming with "wild" birds etc.  The fleucistic ones are easily available for purchase, but i have also seen a few free-living, both in the Bahamas and in south Florida.

Wayne
On 8/31/2017 9:52:25 AM, Charles Gates <cgates326...> wrote:
This luecistic duck was photographed at Lake Abert in Lake County on Monday.  Her pigment situation didn't seem to curtail her reproductive capabilities.  This brood was associating with some eclipse pintails so we got a few seconds to compare shape with them.  It looked to match the shape of the others so I called this one Northern Pintail.  Any duck lovers out there see something else?
-- It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. Mark Twain Chuck Gates 541-280-4957 Powell Butte, Central Oregon Oregon Birding Site Guide http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!birding-locations/clvb [http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!birding-locations/clvb] Oregon County Checklists http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!county-checklists/c1s34 [http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!county-checklists/c1s34]

Join us on Facebook!