Date: 8/31/17 9:32 am
From: Gmail <bhaunts...>
Subject: [wisb] Horicon Marsh & Bay Beach
Yesterday the second "warbler" walk was held at Bay Beach Sanctuarty, definitely incorrect name! We searched for almost 2 hours before finding a single migrant, and then just three warblers in a tree--Redstart, Magnolia and Yellow. Only about 30 species were tallied. For me this is the quietest I have ever seen Bay Beach in the fall. Hopefully it will improve!
Today I checked Horicon Marsh, which I have not done in a few weeks. By the pump house pond, with very limited water, the shorebird tally included 1 Black-necked Stilt, 1 Black-bellied Plover, both yellowlegs, a few Pectoral, Least Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitchers. There were a few ducks besides the normal ones, but there will be only limited water in the ditch by tomorrow. The best were 5 Cattle Egrets that flew from the Dodge co side into Fond du Lac co just west of the south pond, heading northeast. A few Common Gallinules and 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird were present at the "ibis" pond. I walked the Old Marsh Rd (east end) to the photo blind area. There were a number of shorebirds here including about 20 Semip. Plovers, plus Least and Semip. Sandpipers and a lone Greater Yellowlegs. For the early morning I had 10 shorebird species. However when I rechecked the pump house pond an hour plus later, there were NO shorebirds present. Two Whooping Cranes were feeding in a fi
eld on the west side of the marsh along one of the side roads.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI