Date: 8/31/17 9:23 am
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [SFBirds] Migration 8/31/17
Dominik

Uncertainty and weather extremes are predictions from global warming,
as a broad brush of what is likely. But thinking that noticeable pushes of
migration on Mt. Davidson could disappear in the coming years is probably
farfetched. It is equally likely that migration pushes will become more
common given how little we know, and how broad the climate change
predictions are.

On the other hand, we have just finished one of the most abnormal and
unusual three or so years here in California with the mix of the warm water
blob and the drought, which are related from what the science is telling us.
Yet, other than in the seabirds the signal of what happened on land to birds
is unclear to me. Perhaps the most noticeable thing to me locally was Rufous
Hummingbirds migrating en masse along the coast in spring due to lower
flower abundance inland I suppose.

But it opens the questions - what did we notice in the post 2013 odd
years with respect to land birds? In the ocean the signal was clear, perhaps
highlighted by the Blue-footed Booby and later Brown Booby movements into
our area.

Take care,

Avlaro

Alvaro Jaramillo