Date: 8/31/17 8:39 am
From: <editor...>
Subject: First Mississippi Kite nesting in Washington
I received a report yesterday about a possible Mississippi Kite nest in the city of Washington. I followed up in the evening and saw the nest but the birds were gone. As I was talking to the homeowner, I did see one individual fly past, a first for me in Washington County.

He said there were five kites there at one point. So three babies fledged. They were in the process of removing the nesting tree a couple weeks ago when they found the nest with one nestling still on it. They took pictures of this bird which confirmed a fledgling molting into its adult feathers. They quit cutting down the tree until the birds were all gone (thankfully), but they plan to remove the rest soon. The tree was huge. The nest was maybe 30-40 feet up? They had a scissor-lift or something, so they could get really definitive pictures.

I’m surprised they didn’t contact me. I’m usually the go-to person for strange birds in this county. They did contact the local game warden (who I don’t even know) who confirmed it was a Mississippi Kite when going through a field guide, but evidently they must not have reported the sighting or nesting record any further? Kind of disappointed in that.

I was definitely surprised and excited to receive this news and confirmation of nesting. Seems like the range expansion continues.

—Dan

Dan Thalmann
Owner/publisher/sales - Washington County News, Washington, Kansas
Owner/publisher/sales - Linn-Palmer Record, Linn, Kansas
785-325-2219 (w)
785-747-6980 (cell, feel free to text me)
<editor...>
backroadsnews.com

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to