Date: 8/30/17 10:16 pm
From: Richard Bradus <grizzledjay...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Crissy Lagoon - Dowitcher and more
Thanks to Ken and others who posted or submitted checklists. I finally made it to Crissy Field Lagoon this afternoon from around 4 to 5 pm and was able to observe the continuing juvenile Long-billed Dowitcher. For a good ten minutes it was almost continuously feeding in the shallow water and mud very near a mostly slumbering Curlew, while a couple of Killdeer passed back and forth. Quite an interesting size and behavioral comparison! Also got to see a Willet try to get bits of a crawfish leg that had been discarded by a crow, only to be chased off by a gull. Other surprises included a small group of Elegant Terns, a couple of which did some plunge dives into the lagoon before flying off, an unusually large number of Brown Pelicans (28 by my count), relatively active juvenile Night Herons and a couple of Eurasian Collared Doves (are they everywhere now??). Most surprising for me was a Western Kingbird that flew in and hung out for a couple of minutes on the western shoreline (?!) before taking off apparently out over the bay.
My eBird checklist (with photos): http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38913824
All that despite the gusty winds. It'll be interesting to see what shows up over the 'expected to be hot' weekend.Enjoy!
Richard BradusSan Francisco

Join us on Facebook!