Date: 8/30/17 8:40 pm
From: Wes Fritz <wes-fritz...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Maria
SB Birders,

Today I birded a few locations around Santa Maria. I made my first stop at James May Park, I birded around it for an hour and saw no birds of note.
I then moved on over to Jack O' Connell Park in Guadalupe. It was fairly birds considering they are doing some major improvements to the park. Here I saw a Ruddy Turnstone mixed in with the Killdeer and Black-bellied Plovers, 25 Tricolored Blackbirds were also present.
I then made a short stop at the kiosk at the entrance to the SMRE, nothing special, just the expected birds, Wilson's and Yellow Warblers, CB Chickadees etc. I also saw 2 Golden Eagles off to the south. I then birded the parking area at SMRE. It was pretty good for the 20 minutes I was there. I saw 1 dark Pomarine Jaeger, 1 adult Long-tailed Jaeger along with a couple other Jaegers chasing terns just out side the surfline. Also seen was one Pacific Loon and a steady stream of Black-vented Shearwaters. I wanted to stay, but I had more stops I had to make. A committed seawatch could possibly yield some decent birds, it was so birdy.
I made my last birding stop at the Santa Maria Sewage Works on Black Road. Here I counted 20 Lesser Yellowlegs, which was down from 8/23/17 with a count of 23. Today 20ish Short-billed Dowitchers were present along with a few Wilson's and Red-necked Phalaropes. I almost forgot the Spotted Sandpiper and that there were 35+ Turkey Vultures. The ducks have started to arrive, last week there were about 85 Northern Shovelers, yes I did count them and today the numbers were up.
The SMSW crews are cleaning up the vegetation on the banks of the retention basins.

A friendly reminder, please do not bird in the clarifier area. Please do not walk in between them or walk behind them. They do not have very many rules out here, but this is a biggy!!!

As for the Guadalupe Dunes ( SMRE) they have been open to the public for a couple months now. They open the gates at 7:00am and close at 7:30pm. They can be closed on Monday mornings until noon while they clear the sand off the road. They will be open first thing in morning on Labor Day. SMRE has Beach access, but some areas are still closed for Snowy Plovers and Least Terns until October 1st.

Thank you and good birding

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
<wes-fritz...>