Date: 8/30/17 7:01 pm
From: Peter Crosson <pcrosson...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Dunlin in breeding plumage - South Monomoy

Hi all, I birded South Monomoy yesterday with Sue Finnegan, John Pratt, and Ken Schopp. We came across an interesting dunlin that still showed evidence of breeding plumage. Our expected dunlin subspecies here should all molt on the breeding grounds, so this raised the question of whether this could be a dunlin of the subspecies C.a.arctica, which breeds in Iceland and Greenland. I consulted with Blair Nikula and also posted it to the Facebook Advanced Bird ID group, and the consensus is that it is likely a failed breeder, possibly first year per Blair, that did not complete it's molt on the breeding grounds. If any of you are interested in taking a look and weighing in, the eBird list is here:

Good birding,
Peter Crosson
West Barnstable, MA
Sent from my iPhone