Date: 8/30/17 6:12 pm
From: Zeke Cornell <zekecornell...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Concord nighthawks 1050
While Phil had a couple of good nights on the Contoocook River drainage for
Monday and Tuesday, Don Clark was having big nights on the Vermont side of
the Connecticut River (800+ and 600+) at about the same latitude as Concord.
In Concord the counts were under 100 (90 on Monday and 69 last evening).
Last night nearly every bird was flying due south-the first time we have
seen that this season.

This evening was quite different--one of those spectacles that we hope will
happen. The birds were streaming from the south or west for most of the
time, with over 700 in the first 45 minutes! Thanks to the other five folks
who were scanning the skies.

We'll watch for a few more evenings and hope for another big night.

Zeke Cornell

Bow, NH