Date: 8/30/17 6:05 pm
From: JM Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] From Freedom Forrest to Nashua Nighthawks
Was a long and fun day despite a rather early (0400) and wet start. On arrival to the Freedom town forrest I met up with Andrea Robbins, It was a mere 52 degrees, with heavy clouds and light winds, -kept the airstrip extremely quite (unlike the Mirick’s event of a few days back!). However as they day warmed up (and we thawed out) we were able to find pockets of birds, but strangely mostly in the wooded areas and very few along the airstrip at all. Despite a dismal start there were fine birds throughout the forrest.

Highlights:
Numerous redstarts (20), a calling barred owl (who likely thought it was night due to the cloud cover), Olive sided flycatcher (juvenile) perched up for photo shots, a few common nighthawks moving along the way, and 18 species of warblers, with 6 Cape Mays ( not quite the 22 of the weekend count) and ….wait for it 10 Tennessee Wablers!

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38912966 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38912966>

After the two our tour back to Nashua, I must’ve got a second wind and drove over to see what Nashua had for nighthawks. I perched up on High street parking lot to scan the skies. Nothing close in but a respectable 125 nighthawks both north and south of the city

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38911922 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38911922>

All in all a very good day to play.

Jeanne-Marie Maher (in Company with Andrea Robbins)
Nashua, NH