Date: 8/30/17 2:34 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
Starting at the display pond of Alton Baker Park, we took the walkways and trails up river to the bike bridge, then returning to the parking a different way. We early-on encountered a large Bushtit flock that contained many Black-capped Chickadees, a Hutton’s Vireo, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and 2 or 3 Western Tanagers. This activity turned on the voices of local Bewick’s Wrens. Jays of both species were around, Song Sparrows, and a flicker.

A surprise for us was a freshly dead Virginia Rail adult, laying on the alley behind the coffee house meeting place. Kit noted it as he was entering the back door. We speculated why here, in this open, dry place? It was a good study for us, noting plumage detail, size and structure of the bird.

Canada Goose - flock of 12
Mallard - scattered on river
Common Merganser - 9
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
Great Blue Heron - 2
Turkey Vulture - 3
Osprey - 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Virginia Rail - 1 dead (read above)
Spotted Sandpiper - 3
Ring-billed Gull - 1
Rock Pigeon - 100+
Vaux's Swift - 10, flying overhead at the public gardens.
Anna's Hummingbird - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker - 4
Downy Woodpecker - 3
Northern Flicker - 8
Western Wood Pewee- 5
Hutton's Vireo - 1
Steller's Jay - 12
California Scrub-Jay - 15
American Crow - 10
Tree Swallow - patchy occurrence of white bellied swallows over park water no V-g identified.
Barn Swallow - many low-swooping Barns over grass and perching on wire in area of display ponds.
Black-capped Chickadee - frequently seen and heard; many in mixed bushtit flock.
Bushtit - large flock along end of canoe channel near display pond.
White-breasted Nuthatch - 1
Brown Creeper - 2
Bewick's Wren - 5
House Wren - 1 in public garden
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1 with Bushtit flock
American Robin - 2
European Starling - small groups
Cedar Waxwing - conspicuous in many spots; many young birds
Western Tanager - surprising number scattered; maybe more than 12
Spotted Towhee - 3
Song Sparrow - 10
White-crowned Sparrow - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 3
Brewer's Blackbird - 2
House Finch - 10
Lesser Goldfinch - a flock of 18 feeding on lavender seeds
American Goldfinch - a few in garden

Randy Sinnott, Steven and Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Tom Cable, Steve Dignam, , Kit Larsen, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!