Date: 8/30/17 2:33 pm
From: Douglas Harr <dnharr...>
Subject: [ia-bird] More good birds at Ledges SP (Boone Co.)
This morning I hiked up the canyon road at Ledges State park. It has been
closed all year because of a spring storm road wash-out, so there are NO
cars in this normally swamped part of the park. In three hours I saw only
4 hikers, 2 runners and 4 bicyclists, and the canyon was so quiet it was
almost a wilderness-like experience. Nice early weekday mornings since
schools started have made birding outstanding here.

Lots of birds were observable and even hearable. Some of today's best were:
Black-billed Cuckoo (FOY for me--foraging in sunlit tree 20 yards away)
Yellow-throated Vireo--2
Blue-headed Vireo--3
Warbling Vireo--1
Philadelphia Vireo--1 (foraging near a Red-eyed, for *great* comparison!)
Red-eyed Vireo--nearly uncountable numbers
Carolina Wren--3 (all singing loudly in different areas)
Black & White Warbler--3
Tennessee Warbler--2
Nashville Warbler--2
American Redstart--6+
Chestnut-sided Warbler--2
Wilson's Warbler--1
(Unidentifiable warblers--several moving in thick leaves and hard to see)
Scarlet Tanager--2

Doug Harr
Ogden