Date: 8/30/17 2:18 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach, Techny North & Air Station Prairie Thur 8-3017
Hello Bird People,

Fewer shorebirds than I hoped for but I still had 9 shorebird species
although there was a "shorebird shutout" at State Line Beach which is
the 1 place where that happens fairly often. I was joined by Paul
Sweet at Waukegan & Illinois Beach.

Waukegan Beach & Pier (6:30-7:45 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 on the pier & 3 fly-bys)
P.B. Grebe (1 in the inlet)
Canada Goose (27) & Mallard (8)
Killdeer (1 in the lot) & Sanderling (16 on the pier)
Spotted (1 on the pier), Semipalmated (1 on the beach) & BAIRD'S (1 on
the beach) Sandpipers
Ring Billed (145) & Herring (19) Gulls & Caspian Tern (2 fly-bys)
Tree (1), Bank (2), Cliff (2) & Barn (~45) Swallows

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:10-9:55 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4 fly-bys)
GREAT EGRET (16 flying north in 1 group. You almost never see a single
Egret here!)
Cooper's Hawk (1) & MERLIN (1)
Killdeer (2) & Semipalmated Plover (2)
Sanderling (4), Spotted (2) & Least (1) Sandpipers
(Earlier Steve M & Andy Stewart had Yellowlegs as well)
Only a few Ring Billed & Herring Gulls flew by over the lake
Barn Swallow (3-4)
Also on the beach were Mourning Dove (6) &, surprisingly, 2 Chickadees

State Line Beach (10:15-10:35 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4 in the lake)
Ring Billed (110) & Herring (11) Gulls
Caspian Tern (3-AD & 1-IM)
Barn Swallow (2 fly-bys)
Parking lot area had 1 each Cedar Waxwing & Palm Warbler

Techny Basin North (noon-12:35 p.m.)

Water level has gone way up leaving only 1/3 of the mud flat from 2
days ago which resulted
in fewer shorebirds as well.

D.C. Cormorant (2), Great Blues (6) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (5), Wood Duck (21) & Mallard (23)
Killdeer (14) & Lesser Yellowlegs (7)
Spotted (2), Solitary (1), Least (7) & Semipalmated (5) Sandpipers
Barn Swallows (a few)
Savannah Sparrow (1)

Air Station Prairie (12:45-1:15 p.m.)

As John L mentioned water levels are way down. No water left in the
east pond & very little water
left in the west pond which is where all shorebirds & rails were.

Also as John mentioned both SORA & VIRGINIA RAILS (1 each) were seen
but not easily as they slip in & out of view. Again the only way to
see them is from the sidewalk by Compass Rd while looking toward the
building.

Remaining shorebirds were Killdeer (6), Solitary (5), Least (1) &
Semipalmated (14) Sandpipers
Two Eastern Kingbirds are still hunting at the east pond area.
Thanks go to Eleonora for telling us about the Virginia Rails yesterday.

Saving the best for last Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the finally well seen
Virginia Rail &
Runners-Up to the gang of 16 Great Egrets flying across the Dead River
in one group.
Wonder where they were headed?

Al Stokie
In Lake & Cook Co's today