Date: 8/30/17 11:04 am
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Larned BBWD update / 30 Aug.
Today was the first time I looked at the 9 juvenile Black-bellied Whistling
Ducks that were hatched and raised SE of Larned and thought "I bet they can
FLY!" I didn't actually see them do it, but their size and feather growth
suggest they are almost there. Only one adult BBWD, (I'm guessing the mom),
remains with the brood, at least when I observed them. I never know whether
I'll see them again. This may have been it.

There are still a couple hundred other shorebirds and ducks at this same
playa at the extreme S end of the Ward Feed Yard property, but I saw nothing
of much interest.

Otherwise very very quiet birdwise. No hummers now for 10 days at our
house. Fall migration is off to an abysmal start.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to