Date: 8/30/17 6:22 am
From: Steve Sanford <bwredbird...>
Subject: Merlin, Bairds Sandpiper, Dowitcher - Mercer Co
Kim Springer and I went to the Propagation ponds on Shenango Lake
yesterday (Tuesday) and got great looks at the Baird's Sandpiper, and
Short-billed Dowitcher reported by Mark Vass earlier. (Thank you Mark!)
After enjoying them for a while along came a Merlin that landed close in
the big dead tree in on the path by the middle of the ponds. It perched
for a few minutes than dive-bombed the treeless flat and flew around. It
repeated this routine again while we were there.
Kim's eBird report includes some pictures.
Sorry for my late post. Bear in mind tomorrow is the last day the ponds
are open before the annual closure to the public from Sept 1 thru Dec 31.
Steve Sanford
Sharon PA

Join us on Facebook!