Date: 8/30/17 4:35 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Coos Bay Alcids
On Sunday Barb Taylor and I spent about 4 hours at Cape Arago with Larry
Basch and his Siskiyou Field Institute class. It was sunny and around 70F
with no wind so there wasn't much moving- I only briefly saw one Sooty
Shearwater. Murre and guillemot numbers were low but we did see about 20
MARBLED MURRELETS all in basic plumage except one. Mostly in groups of two
but one group of 6. We also saw about a dozen Pacific Loons. In the south
cove there were 8 Harlequin Ducks, this is where oversummering nonbreeders
can usually be found. Not many gulls- no Heermanns. Only one Caspian
Tern. One flock of 12 pelis. We saw around 20 oystercatchers and just one
flock of peeps. The stars were the RED CROSSBILLS which were flying around
us all morning and would occasionally land low where we could get good
looks at them.

I finally saw my first two godwits of the year behind the sewage
treatment plant in Empire about a week ago, haven't had much luck seeing
shorebirds in the usual Pigeon Point location in Empire but I haven't been
out as much as in past years either.

Good birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay

On Monday, August 28, 2017, Marcia F. Cutler <marciafcutler...>
wrote:

> Yesterday, Sunday August 27th around 2 pm while at the pull-out by the
> side of the road near Pigeon Point (I forget what it’s called), members of
> the Audubon Society of Corvallis’s field trip to the south coast were
> surprised to find at least 1 CASSIN’S AUKLET, basic plumage, along with a
> MARBLED MURRELET, in adult non-breeding plumage and within scope view of a
> Common Murre which allowed for size and plumage comparison. Also seen was a
> RED-NECKED GREBE, still sporting breeding plumage.
> Sender: <obol-bounce...> <javascript:;>
>
> Marcia F. Cutler
> Corvallis, OR
>

> POST: Send your post to <obol...> <javascript:;>
> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...> <javascript:;>

Join us on Facebook!