Date: 8/29/17 7:08 pm
From: Packett, Diane L - NRF <Diane.Packett...>
Subject: [wisb] Final results of the Greatest Wisconsin Birdtahon ever, and Priority Projects
Hi everyone,
After a long delay, I'd like to report the final results of the Great Wisconsin Birdathon, and the projects that have been chosen to receive the funds. The Birdathon this year srpassed my wildest expectations: You guys raised **$90,800** for bird protection! $20,000 of that was from fundraising field trips, which many of you led. Here are the top teams, Signature and otherwise, and the projects you're funding. Two dozen organizations fielded teams and took home $10,000 for their own projects.

Our Signature Teams led the birding and fundraising:
Cutright's Old Coots: 153 species, $10,350;
Finch Gang: 91 species, $3,500;
Lake Superior eBirders: 171 species, $6,300;
Lower Wisconsin Scan da Avians: 121 species, $5,350;
Secretary Birds: 190 species, $1,225;
WYBC Teen Birders: 141 species, $1,226

In the "all other teams category", top 5 birders were:
MuirLand Merlins and Obi Gray & the Chewbacalacas, tied at 170 spp;
River Raptors, 165 spp;
Lower Chippewa River Titmouseketeers, 144 spp;
Chequamegon Robbins, 129 spp;
Goss Hawks, 118 spp.

Top 5 fundraisers were:
Indigo Girls & Guys, $9,500
River Raptors, $4,000
Presidential rEgrets, $3,158
Baraboo Rangers, $3,010
NLDC Up North Hammerheads, $2,605.

PLEASE, if I missed anybody, let me know!

The Natural Resources Foundation, Wisconsin DNR, and Wisconsin Bird Conservation Initiative selected 10 projects to receive these funds, including three new ones:
Bird conservation and monitoring in the Peruvian Amazon;
Colonial waterbird monitoring in east-central Wisconsin; and
Waterbird and waterfowl monitoring in Lake Michigan.

Seven projects carry over from previous years: Kirtland's Warbler's, Whooping Crane reintroduction, Bird City Wisconsin, Wisconsin Breeding Bird Atlas II, Wisconsin Bird Monitoring Program, Osa Conservation, and Wisconsin Stopover Initiative.

Funds will be disbursed at the end of the year, so you can always go to http://www.wisconservation.org/ and donate to the Bird Protection Fund to add to the amount your favorite project will receive. Capsule descriptions of the projects can be found at http://www.wisconservation.org/how-we-work/bird-protection-fund/.

The Birdathon annual report, that you can share with past and potential donors, should be out in September (I hope).

THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS YEAR!

Diane Packett
Birdathon Coordinator