Date: 8/29/17 7:01 pm
From: 'Phil Brown' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Nighthawks in Hancock; raptor observatories open Friday
The nighthawk feeding frenzy and migration continued over Powder Mill Pond as viewed from the Stokes' yard. Nearly 1,000 birds were observed over the course of the past two evenings with better numbers of migrants tonight. It appeared that many birds seemed to converge over the pond to feed between 6 and 7 pm, but there were also certain migrants moving south over the pond and along a distant ridge. Hopefully the spectacle will continue here and in other locations for a few more nights.
I encountered a strong warbler movement at the Deering Wildlife Sanctuary in Deering yesterday morning as a dozen or so warbler species moved by me in a recently-thinned forest. From one vantage point, I observed at least four different Bay-breasted Warblers, a real treat. Also present here were several Tennessees, a Blackpoll, and a Prairie in unusual habitat. Further along on my walk, I encountered an adult Northern Goshawk that flushed from near the ground with what appeared to be a gray squirrel.
On Friday, two Red Crossbills and a Merlin were present from the Pack Monadnock Raptor Observatory in Peterborough as I worked with volunteers to maintain the view. And a Merlin flew over my car in Concord this afternoon.NH Audubon's Raptor Observatories at Pack Monadnock and Carter Hill open this Friday.Stay tuned to the Fall Afield newsletter and the online Calendar for more.http://www.nhaudubon.org/get-outside/raptor-observatories/

Phil BrownHancock, NH