Date: 8/29/17 6:02 pm
From: 'David Povey' <dpovey...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Monday Aug. 28th. scouting pelagic
Curtis Marantz, Gary Nunn, Matt Sadowski and I did a pelagic scouting trip
out of Mission Bay Monday.

Conditions were crummy, with a steep wind wave on a short interval, and
enough wind to make some directions of travel

wet. The best bird of the day, has to go down as the one that escaped. Very
likely a Manx Shearwater north bound

in the mid San Diego Trough area west of La Jolla. All of us had the
reaction that it was too white faced and undersides, to be

a Black-vented Shearwater. The bird had a different flight style more
wheeling and soaring than the many Black-vents we'd

seen in shore that morning in the same wind conditions. We did get some
photos but nothing to hang our hat on. Too bad it

would be our first county fall record. Interestingly there are a number of
fall records for Manx Shearwater on Monterrey

pelagics.

Good numbers of Pink-footed Shearwaters (90), one Sooty Shearwater for the
day, and a fair number Black-vented

Shearwaters (75), all inshore where we did not tarry.

Two other birds did not escape. First a TOWNSEND'S STORM-PETREL mid S.D.
Trough. Matt got some nice photos to post to

eBIRDS, and a well seen, and cooperative WILSON'S STORM-PETREL with a tiny
Black Storm-Petrel Raft on the 30 Mile

Bank. This bird about a mile and a half inside the county line. The end of
Aug. early Sept. seems to be prime time for this

species here.

Black Storm-Petrel (115) remain in low numbers locally, Ashy Storm-Petrels
(12) numbers are down, Leach's Storm-Petrel (16)

numbers remain good in the San Diego Trough. I presume all Leach's were
Chapmani, with varying degrees of white on their

rumps. Other than the odd raft of twenty or so, the big raft(s) of recent
years still eludes us.

A flock of twenty odd Marbled Godwits were seen moving north (?)

Phalarope numbers are up with 120 Red Phalaropes, 50 or more Red-necked
Phalaropes, and another 40 or so un I.d. to species.

A young LONG-TAILED JAEGER was seen attempting to attacking storm-petrels
back out over the San Diego Trough. That the

only jaeger today.

Alcid viewing was tough today so no surprise we counted only 17 Cassin's
Auklets, with 3 more small alcid sp.

We had several newly arrived California Gull ( 4 )

Common Tern were seen in a couple of groups number somewhere close to 50 for
the day.

As a side note we had a small Loggerhead Turtle on the Thirty Mile Bank.
This guy about the size of dinner plate. That's the

third Loggerhead Turtle I've seen this summer.

Dave Povey

Dulzura

p.s. Two of the next three pelagic trips are full. The ultimate Southern
California birding pelagic aboard the Searcher leaves for

5 days at sea Monday. Not too soon to think about booking for 2018. Call
Celia at 619 226-2403

The Sept. 24th. 12hr. BVAS/Grande trip is full.

The newly added Oct. 22. 10hr. trip aboard the Grande is taken bookings.
Call 619 223 -1627

Join us on Facebook!