Date: 8/29/17 5:15 pm
From: Andrea Bean <abean60...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Race Point and Race Point Beach Shearwater and Gull show
Massbirders, I wanted to share my ebird report from Sunday. It is late
because it took me so long to go through my photos. If anyone can get down
to Race Point Beach to witness this spectacular display of Shearwaters, it
will be something that you may never witness again for a long time.
Shearwaters sitting on the beach, it is amazing. If you are interested,
here is a video as well. Please keep your sound on, the noise they are
making is incredible.

Race Point Beach, Provincetown, Barnstable, Massachusetts, US
Aug 27, 2017 8:40 AM - 3:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: This report is of the entire day total hours from RPB to
Hatches. We birded until 1:00 then came back to catch the high tide and
birded until the sun set. 1.5 hours after high tide was a shearwater
feeding frenzy. I've never in my life seen anything like this.
Shearwaters all over the beach.
19 species

Cory's Shearwater 60 This number is a total between my both visits
today so it could be less if double counted.
Great Shearwater 15000 The greatest concentration by far was when we
came back for high tide, although there were quite a bunch, maybe 6000 in
the morning.
Sooty Shearwater 170 Count between morning and evening. There may
have been duplicate counts
Manx Shearwater 15 I am sure this is an undercount. It was just hard
to pick out the minority in such a crowd.
Double-crested Cormorant 32
Black-bellied Plover 3
American Golden-Plover 1 seen at the back of hatches while the sun was
starting to set. I wished I had had a better camera for this one. The
light the setting sun was casting on this bird was amazing.
Semipalmated Plover 7
Whimbrel 2
Sanderling 35
Bonaparte's Gull 5
Laughing Gull 250
Ring-billed Gull 75
Herring Gull 350
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1 Feeding in the mass amounts of fish washed
up on shore.
Great Black-backed Gull 300
Roseate Tern 12 All on our second time back
Common Tern 100
American Crow 2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38885951