Date: 8/29/17 4:46 pm
From: 'darrell shambaugh' <d.shambaugh...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET: LaSalle County 8/29/17
The flooded field on North 46th Road between East 10th and East 11th roads
had 16 Stilt Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, a Spotted Sandpiper, and 6
Pectoral Sandpipers. This floodle will last a long time. The culvert under
the road is broken or blocked, preventing the field to drain. North 46th
road is the second road north of the BNSF railroad west of Earleville. East
10th Road goes north from Route 34 at Moyer's curve (the big curve west of
Earleville). Go north on E 10th road to North 46th and turn right. There is
very little room to pull over on N. 46th road, so be very careful if you go.

I checked a road south of Earleville and found a nice selection of woodland
birds. Six Tennessee Warblers, 2 American Redstart female-type, a male
Black-&-white Warbler, and a first year female Magnolia warbler were joined
by four Eastern Wood Peewees, a Baltimore Oriole, Hairy, Downy, and
Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatch, American
Goldfinch, and Turkey Vultures were active. I have been birding this area
since 1988; it was in a priority block for the Illinois Breeding Bird Atlas.
It hasn't been developed at all since then, and the birding is as good now
as it was then.

Darrell Shambaugh

Somonauk, DeKalb County

Join us on Facebook!