Date: 8/29/17 10:46 am
From: Fawn Bowden <fawnda10...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Not a sighting- Hawkeye WMA Open to Canada Goose/Teal Hunting until Sept 20th
I thought those who frequent Hawkeye WMA in Swisher might want to be aware
that they are having a special hunting season for Canada Geese and an
experimental season for Teal. Below is the release from the DNR. ~Fawn

Refuge on Hawkeye Wildlife Area open for teal, special September Canada
goose seasons

Swisher, Iowa - The wildlife refuge section of the Hawkeye Wildlife Area on
the west side of the Coralville Reservoir will be open to hunting until
Sept. 20, to allow hunters access to public hunting areas for the special
September Canada goose season for the Iowa City and Cedar Rapids zone as
well as for the experimental teal season.

“The purpose of the season is to reduce the population of resident Canada
geese in the corridor and the wildlife refuge covers a sizable portion
within the zone on the public area. By opening the refuge, we can provide
hunter access that we believe will help reduce the number of local Canada
geese,” said Tim Thompson, wildlife biologist for the Iowa DNR.

The DNR has maps with the special September Canada goose zone boundaries
highlighted online at http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Migratory-Game-Birds
<http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbXNpZD0mYXVpZD0mbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTcwODI5Ljc3NDY4NzcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE3MDgyOS43NzQ2ODc3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODQzNjU3JmVtYWlsaWQ9ZmF3bmRhMTBAeWFob28uY29tJnVzZXJpZD1mYXduZGExMEB5YWhvby5jb20mdGFyZ2V0aWQ9JmZsPSZtdmlkPSZleHRyYT0mJiY=&&&109&&&http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Migratory-Game-Birds?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>
.

Beginning Sept. 20, no hunting for any species will be allowed in the
refuge to allow waterfowl and other birds a place to rest during the fall
migration.

*Media Contact*: Tim Thompson, Wildlife Biologist, Iowa Department of
Natural Resources, 319-330-7013.