Date: 8/29/17 9:09 am
From: Tim Freiday <tim.freiday777...>
Subject: [de-birds] Middle Run BioBlitz and Tuesday Morning Bird Walks
Hello Fellow DE Birders,

The 2017 BioBlitz at Middle Run is almost here, as this Sunday September 3 is approaching fast! The birding is hot at Middle Run right now, with 14 species of warbler detected there in the past week. There have also been some interesting insects sighted there recently, including 12-spotted Skimmer, Widow Skimmer, and Halloween Pennant dragonflies, along with many Monarchs, Cloudless Sulphur, Tiger and Spicebush Swallowtail butterflies. Many wonderful organisms await our discovery at Middle Run this Sunday! The weather looks as though it may be unsettled, but that won’t stop us from searching for as many life forms as possible. Last year was an incredibly hot day, but it also turned out to be an incredibly hot day for birding. You never know what will happen, and sometimes cool rainy mornings are the best for finding birds actively searching for food to refuel.

We will meet in the main parking lot at Middle Run, and the first bird walk at Middle Run will begin at 6:00 AM running until 7:50 AM. Derek Stoner and I will be leading the birding walks. Then we will reconvene at the parking area to meet new arrivals, and leave for another bird walk at 8:00 AM. We will return to the parking area again at 9:50, and then leave for a walk focused on finding insects and reptiles. We will be aided by graduate students from the University of Delaware Ashley Kennedy and Adam Mitchell, who will use their expertise to identify many more species of insects and plants. The following Tuesday September 5th marks the beginning of the traditional Tuesday Morning Bird Walks at Middle Run, running from 8 AM until 10-11 AM. These events are free and open to the public, sponsored by New Castle County Parks and led by Delaware Nature Society Staff and volunteers. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions you have about the BioBlitz or the Tuesda!
y Bird Walks at Middle Run.

Happy Birding,
Tim Freiday
Middle Run Project Coordinator