Date: 8/29/17 8:40 am
From: world oceans <world.oceans7...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Merlin in northern Clayton County
Good morning,

At 1055 this morning I saw a juvenile (or possibly adult female) Merlin
harrassing robins and blue jays just above the trees along Jonesboro Road
in Lake City, across the street from the Lake City Commons/Kroger shopping
area. It was only in view for about two minutes and was moving quickly back
and forth, first soaring a little and then diving toward the smaller
birds. Identification was fairly straightforward; it was clearly a
falconid, based on the tapered wing-ends, broad wing base and fairly short
tail, which was prominently barred, and on the fast, acrobatic flight
style. The overall coloration was fairly pale, with no signs of reddish
color anywhere and no breast markings. I believe it was probably the
richardsonii race, based on the general color and on the width and pale
color of the tail bands.
I remained at the site for another 15 minutes or so but did not see it come
up again from behind the trees.

James Gibson
Clayton Co.

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>