Date: 8/28/17 11:56 pm
From: <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sea watch, 8/28 -- Sooty Shearwaters et al.
I conducted a 90-minute sea watch this morning (Aug. 28) from the southmost parking area of the Great Highway. While light WSW winds were good, the marine layer was down to the ocean, leaving only several hundred yards of fog-free visibility from the beach out to the fog line. But there was plenty of action close-in, the best being ~900 SOOTY SHEARWATERS much closer than we usually see them from shore in SF. There was a good pulse N, then some of those birds returned, then a bigger pulse N with many of the shearwaters settling down on the water to join a feeding frenzy that also included many Brandt's Cormorants, Brown Pelicans, and Heermann's Gulls.

Other observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter: 6
Pacific Loon: 1
Common Loon: 2
W. Grebe: 1
Pelagic Cormorant: 1
Semipalmated Plover: 2
Whimbrel: 3
Marbled Godwit: 9
Sanderling: 32
POMARINE JAEGER: 1 light-morph adult flying N low over the ocean
Common Murre: 22 (including quite a few juvs. on the ocean)
MARBLED MURRELET: 1 flying N
Elegant Tern: 30+

Paul Saraceni
San Francisco