Date: 8/28/17 7:01 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Birthday birding and birthday bird
Sunday morning the Prairie Lakes Audubon Bird Club helped me celebrate my
birthday with a field trip to the Kettleson Hogsback area and the Spirit
Lake Grade and Mini Wakan SP in Dickinson County. While we saw nothing too
unusual we had good weather and great comradery. At the Grade there were 38
Forster's Terns for a good migration concentration and one immature Common
Tern looking like it was left out of the tern group. Warblers were only a
handful of expected species and time ran out before we could travel to
Little Swan Lake for shorebirds. With all the recent rain there may not
have been much mudflat shore left open.

Towards the end of the day and before a badly needed nap I did finally find
two Buff-breasted Sandpipers sneaking around in a weed patch at the local
sod farm. I had not found them despite searching regularly this year so I
was happy to see them and declare them the "Birthday Bird of 2017"!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer