Date: 8/28/17 6:58 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Notes from Plum Island
In response to Doug's well written note I would like to speak up regarding those of us who consider hearing birds important and part of the total experience. It starts simply with Song Sparrows, chickadees, and Northern Cardinals in February, continues with Red-winged Blackbirds, Eastern Phoebes, Tree Swallows, Pine Warblers, Fox Sparrows, Brown Creepers, Field Sparrows, Hermit Thrushes, Winter Wrens, Louisiana Waterthrushes, Yellow-rumps, Yellow Warblers, Warbling Vireos, then Baltimore Orioles and the total immersion of sound in May and June. This continues into July with decreasing song in both species and length of time singing and the challenge of IDing birds which may not have found mates and have altered their "natural" song to include phrasing of their neighbors.

Then comes the silence of August 1. Happens every year; one day song, the next day silence. After 5 plus months of waking up hearing birds outside it is a sad day when the birds stop singing. There is the occasional Red-eyed Vireo and Eastern Wood Pewee, but it is not the same. One survives on the staccato vocalizations of shorebirds and the gurgling of Tree Swallows during August into September. There is a momentary resurgence at the autumnal equinox with Pine Warblers and Warbling Vireos, but the silence continues until the next February when the cycle begins anew and the world is once again filled with natural songsters.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

> On August 28, 2017 at 3:19 PM DOUGLAS E CHICKERING <dovekie...> wrote:
>
> Massbirders:
>
> One of the birding oddities that I practice is to treat birding almost exclusively as a visual experience. It’s not that my hearing is bad, it is probably better than the average gentleman of my years. Yet I will never be satisfied at just hearing a bird. I want to see it. Perhaps it’s because I think I have a heightened sense of color or perhaps the experience seems a little incomplete unless I see the bird I am hearing. When I actually make a list it is only of birds that I see. Of course this results in a list that is shorter than that of my contemporaries but I am not out for quantity I am out for quality. It is one of my many eccentricities. Lois and I had slowly driven down the island this morning (August 28) and I found myself pulling over to the side of the road at a familiar chip in the heavy brush on the dune side of the road just at the start of the S curves. A Chickadee. I hopped out of the car and walked across to where I still heard that little high-pitched call. Chickadee’s seemed to enjoy conversing as they forage. My experience is that Chickadees often respond well to pishing and I wanted to see the little rascal so that I could place him on the day list. I pished and sure enough he came over to see what was going on. Then I noticed some movement on a branch just above him; a yellowish bird . I got on it and was delighted to find a Prairie Warbler. I know my desire to see a bird can often lead to a waste of time and I am sure that it has had a tendency to retard my knowledge of bird songs. Still after thirty odd years at this I think my bird song knowledge is quite good. The Prairie Warbler didn’t make a sound and if I hadn’t stopped to pish in the Chickadee I would have driven right past him. That wouldn’t have been a disaster, of course, but seeing a Prairie Warbler is always a treat. It also seemed to herald the beginning of the passerine fall migration.
>
> It was quite a lively morning on the island. I had a Hummingbird and a Brown Thrasher at the Wardens, and at Hellcat I got on my first Long-billed Dowitcher of the year. It was a classic text-book example, still pretty much in alternate plumage. This bird can be a devilish hard species to separate from its Short-billed relative. It was bulky with a humped back and reddish down the breast and undertail and even the streaking on the neck was discernable. Also there was a convenient Short-billed Dowitcher right beside him for comparison.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!