Date: 8/28/17 6:18 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: bird observation during the eclipse
I experienced the eclipse at the Daventon Baptist Church parking lot,
southern Greenville County.

I thought that that would be a neat place to see the eclipse. My
great-grandparents donated the land for the church about 100 years ago, and
I had been there only once before. That was in 1955 or 1956.

About half-way into the "pre-partial eclipse", I became aware of 4 or 5
Chimney Swifts that were calling and flying around in the vicinity. I heard
them at least a few times during the rest of the pre-partial eclipse. I
definitely did not hear them during the total eclipse. However, within a
second or two of the full eclipse ending, when those first rays of the sun
burst through, I heard them again. They were very vocal, calling VERY fast
and excitedly.

Really neat experience. I'm glad we made the drive (even with the I-95
being a nightmare on the way back--didn't get home 'til 3am).

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!