Date: 8/28/17 5:56 pm
From: Joe Gyekis <j99...>
Subject: talking about birds with the public at Musser Gap on Oct 1

Hi Bird Club,

I'm looking for someone to help me chat with throngs of hikers on Sunday, October 1st, 2017 at Musser Gap from 1-4 pm.

The "Walk in the Woods" program is hosted by the Pennsylvania Forestry Association, Center for Private Forests, PA DCNR, Sustainable Forestry Initiative of PA, and Penn State Extension. Their goal is to host an educational walk in the woods in every county of the state (on the same day), highlighting the many values of our forests. So far there are over 50 such walks planned. (Additional statewide information can be found at this website: [ https://sites.psu.edu/walkinpennswoods/ | https://sites.psu.edu/walkinpennswoods/ ] ) The local organizers of our Musser Gap Walk in the Woods Program are the Rothrock Chapter of the Society of American Foresters (SAF) and the DCNR, Bureau of Forestry, Rothrock State Forest.

Sandy Smith reached out to me to ask if I'd like to have a station along the trail to talk about birds, and I agreed to do so, and he encouraged me to see if I could find a small group of birders together because if the weather is pretty there might be a lot of people to chat with. Anyone want to stand along the path with me that day?

Joe

P.S. I saw 5 male Baltimore orioles in one field of view at the game lands between the Shiloh Rd exit and Spring Creek last Friday. And a pretty human-tolerant whippoorwill hanging around on the road beside the big sign at Scotia Barrens last night.

Join us on Facebook!